On 27 July 2023 IMDA announced that 3G services would cease on 31 July 2024. Please take note of the following timelines of the upcoming changes to 3G networks and services in Singapore:
- From 1 November 2023: The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) has stopped accepting new registrations and renewals of 3G-only mobile phones and non-VoLTE capable smartphones.
- From 1 February 2024: The sale of 3G-only mobile phones and non-VoLTE capable smartphones for local use will no longer be allowed. IMDA will invalidate the registrations of these equipment by 1 February 2024.
- From 31 July 2024 onwards: 3G networks and services will cease in Singapore.
To better serve the interest of consumers in Singapore, IMDA is proposing that dealers who are importing mobile phones for sale in Singapore will need to ensure that the mobile phones they are selling comply with the following requirements:
- Mobile phones shall be capable of making VoLTE calls on all four Mobile Network Operators’ (“MNOs”) public networks in Singapore. Dealers shall validate this through their own testing and submit a declaration letter as a form of confirmation to the requirement during the equipment registration process.
- Mobile phones shall comply with the specifications in 3GPP TS34.229-1. If unsure, dealers/equipment suppliers shall check with their handset manufacturers on compliance to the specifications and submit a compliance checklist during the equipment registration process.
For more information, please get in touch.